Day 21 of our 30 Cocktail in 30 Days Challenge: the Vodka Martini
You can’t get much more James Bond than this drink. It’s a classic but you have to be careful with it.
There’s no juice or mixer with this cocktail – it’s all alcohol, which makes it a potent drink. It also means the flavours come from only three different places: the vermouth, the garnish and the vodka.
For this reason, it’s important to use a good quality vodka. Alternatively, you can add different flavoured vodkas, but you need to be careful as the flavours in the vodka can be quite overpowering. Only use a single measure at most and use a plain vodka for the rest of the recipe.
For garnishes, the classic is a twist of lemon. However, you can also use pickles or our favourite is blue cheese stuffed olives. The salty cheese and the oil from the olives give the martini a very nice accent. And who doesn’t like cheese?!
How to make the Vodka Martini
Here’s what you need:
For each drink
- ½ measure of dry vermouth – we prefer Noilly Prat
- 3 measures of vodka – we used Grey Goose for this martini
- Martini glass
- Cocktail shaker, jigger measure
- Twist of lemon or olives on a cocktail stick for garnish
Here’s what you do:
- Pour the vermouth over ice in the shaker.
- Shake until the sides of the shaker are frosted.
- Strain the vermouth out and discard it.
- Pour the vodka in over the ice, now coated with vermouth.
- Shake or stir the vodka, depending on how James Bond you’re feeling!
- Strain the vodka into the martini glass.
- Garnish with the lemon twist or the olives on the cocktail stick.
- Practise your best “hello Mish Moneypenny” impression.
If you like this cocktail, then you’ll love our ebook How to Host the Perfect Cocktail Party.
It has how-to instructions with pictures on over 35 different cocktails to make. You’ll also find over 10 chapters of top tips and tricks on what you need and what you don’t, guaranteeing your cocktail parties will become the stuff of legends.
Even if you’ve hosted cocktail parties before, the great ideas inside this book will help you perfect and hone your hosting skills. And of course your cocktail repertoire!
Yours for only $9.99, this book will keep your parties fresh and their glasses full!
Click the button below to Buy Now.
Or if you want more information on what our book’s about, head to our Perfect Cocktail Party ebook page.