Here we are again. Monday. But it’s not all bad. Here are some amazing photos of a far-away place that’ll grease the rails to help you through the week.
This Monday, Vanuatu in the South Pacific.
Click here for our full review on Efate Island and Port Vila – Vanuatu’s capital.
If you want to know more about Vanuatu, check out tomorrow’s post about Efate Island and also this post about Tanna Island!
And here are seven fun facts about Vanuatu for you!
- Vanuatu consists of 84 islands over an area of 12,200sq km of the Pacific Ocean
- There are three official languages in Vanuatu: French, English & Bislama (pigeon English), though there are more than 100 local languages spoken throughout the archipelago
- The first inhabitants arrived over 4,000 years ago
- In Vanuatu, pigs, especially the ones with round tusks are, considered a symbol of wealth
- Tanna Island’s Mount Yassur is the world’s most accessible active volcano
- On Tanna, there is a strange sect called the John Frum cargo cult that worships a god in the form of a WWII serviceman
- Also on Tanna is the Prince Philip Movement – another sect that worships the Queen of England’s consort!
Johanna at ZigaZag
Ahh, how I’d love to visit Vanuatu. Your pics are just stunning. Even though he can be amusing sometimes, I’m not sure I’d be visiting just for the fact that there’s a sect that worships Prince Philip though! What an interesting piece of information 😉
Thanks Jo! It’s a beautiful place and you can only blame their remoteness for the Prince Philip cult 😉
Mr and Mrs Romance’s guide to Port Vila on Efate Island, Vanuatu
[…] Here are seven fun facts and some more pics of Vanuatu. […]