Day 14 of our 30 Cocktails in 30 Days Challenge: the margarita
Tequila: one of the most feared spirits available. I don’t think I’ve met many people who don’t have a tequila horror story.
The funny thing is I don’t think any of those stories revolve around having too many margaritas. All good parties start with a margarita. Maybe that’s what it is. They’re a great starting point. They’re sharp because of the lime, they’re tasty because of the salt and they’re fun because of the number of variations you do. Strawberry ones, watermelon ones, chilli ones, frozen ones…
Still, the original margarita is still a star in its own right.
How to make a classic margarita
Here’s what you need:
For each drink
- Single measure of tequila
- Single measure of lime juice
- ¾ measure of Cointreau
- Large flake sea salt and lime slice to garnish
- Stump-stemmed bowl or margarita glass
- Cocktail shaker, small plate
Here’s what you do:
- Chill the glass.
- Pour enough salt onto the plate that there’s enough to cover it or at least make a ring for the glass rim.
- Wipe a small amount of Cointreau around the rim of the glass then push the rim into the salt. Do this at an angle and you’ll get a more satisfactory result.
- Pour the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and a pinch of salt over ice into the shaker.
- Shake well and strain into the glass.
- Garnish the edge of the glass with the slice of lime.
The quality of the tequila you use is really key to this drink. Most margarita recipes will tell you to use silver tequila. We’ve used gold tequila here – I think gold tequila has a deeper, better flavour – but more importantly, we used 100% agave tequila. Agave is what true tequila is made from and is therefore a better standard.
Also, this tequila is called El Jimador, an appropriate gift from my sister-in-law – thanks Mary!
If you like this cocktail, then you’ll love our ebook How to Host the Perfect Cocktail Party.
It has how-to instructions with pictures on over 35 different cocktails to make. You’ll also find over 10 chapters of top tips and tricks on what you need and what you don’t, guaranteeing your cocktail parties will become the stuff of legends.
Even if you’ve hosted cocktail parties before, the great ideas inside this book will help you perfect and hone your hosting skills. And of course your cocktail repertoire!
Yours for only $9.99, this book will keep your parties fresh and their glasses full!
Click the button below to Buy Now.
Or if you want more information on what our book’s about, head to our Perfect Cocktail Party ebook page.