DIY Heart Light Display – the Romance Writing’s on the Wall

by Mr Romance on February 6, 2014 · 10 comments

in Our Blogging Life

DIY heart lights - Mr and Mrs Romance

I suppose you could say we’re all heart here at Mr & Mrs Romance. And apart from that boom-tish Mrs R would apply to that – my latest of dad jokes, our favourite backdrop for photos is our heart canvas.

It’s also the basis one of our greatest joint craft moments.

Hair Romance double ponytail with heart lights

We were at our friends’ beautiful destination wedding (which we love by the way – here’s our post on attending destination weddings), when we found the lights. They got married in Thailand – in the coastal town of Hua Hin.

We were out in the town at a night market when we found a little stall covered in lights. We loved them immediately and bought a couple of packs. We were a bit worried about them working, but the lady tested them for us first.

I was still a bit worried about the dodgy power connection – but Mrs R’s enthusiasm was enough to make me shell out the 300 Thai Baht (about $10!) for the two.

When we got them home, Mrs Romance wanted to attach them to the wall somehow. But whatever we did, they kept falling off. In the end, I was instructed to go and buy one of those big blank canvases you can find at those funny variety shops.

We then traced the heart shape out on the back of the canvas in pencil and spaced out marks to make little cuts with a craft knife all around for the lights to fit through.

DIY heart lights - behind the scenes - Mr and Mrs Romance

We were careful to make the right number of cuts and to space them out evenly.

We removed the little coloured covers, pushed the lights through and reattached the ball things over the lights. But then we found the lights were too heavy and kept falling through the holes.

DIY heart lights on stretched canvas - Mr and Mrs Romance

DIY heart lights on canvas - Mr and Mrs Romance

Mrs Romance (a.k.a Hair Romance) of course has plenty of hair stuff, including very small hair pins that are too small for her thick locks. We used these to clip to the cables at the back of the canvas to hold the lights in place.

DIY heart lights - bobby pin trick - Mr and Mrs Romance

Now, we plug the display in and boom! It’s party time!

How to DIY heart lights - Mr and Mrs Romance

What’s been your greatest craft moment? I once did an Ikea flatpack all by myself. I still think back on that time with fondness!

Images by Mrs Romance.

Related posts:

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Smaggle February 6, 2014 at 11:19 am

Bloody genius. I’m going to visit soon and drink champage and look at it.

Mr Romance February 6, 2014 at 6:08 pm

With ideas like that, Smags, we can call each other geniuses… or is it genii? Genieaux? Whatever – yes, come round! We have champagne!!

Nikki @ Styling You February 6, 2014 at 11:21 am

That is genius! I so want one of these.
Nikki @ Styling You recently posted..What’s hot for autumn winter 2014My Profile

Mr Romance February 6, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I wonder if we could knock up a pineapple one for you, Nikki?! I’ll consult with my technical adviser and see what we can do!
Jx

Sonia from Sonia Styling February 6, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I’m such a sucker for fairy lights. I’d have them all over the house if I could. We currently have none but I have a feeling that might change very soon…!
Sonia from Sonia Styling recently posted..Summer SandalsMy Profile

Mr Romance February 6, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Do it, Sonia! Even I like these ones and I’m not that bothered about fairy lights. Jx

Diane Orcutt February 6, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I love your Heart lights…such a lovely creative idea!!Must have some of my own :-) I will be looking for some for my little cottages, in Lavender color of’course :-) Thanks for sharing! I love reading your blog posts. XX Diane aka:Lavender Lady

Mr Romance February 6, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Thank you, Diane! That’s a very nice thing to say! We love the look of your lavender products too!
Good luck with your version of our lights – it’s surprisingly easy to do and there are lots of options when it comes to types of fairy light. You’ll have to send us a pic when you’re done. Would love to see it!
Jx

Tine February 7, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Oooh genius! I love that heart light in your photos. So pretty! I bought a set of similar lights in Bangkok but have never put it up. Time to get them out and try this out :)
Tine recently posted..The Blogger Made Me Buy It TagMy Profile

Mr Romance February 7, 2014 at 3:52 pm

:-) Glad you like it, Tine! Definitely have a go with your lights. It’s a lovely thing to have on the wall! Jx